RadarURL Teaching Learning With ICT: Idioms Drills (1) - Under The Weather

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Idioms Drills (1) - Under The Weather


UNDER THE WEATHER


DIALOGUE

A : It’s a beautiful day. Let’s go for a walk.
B : I’d like to but I feel under the weather. I think I’m catching cold.
A : You’d better watch your step then. A cold is no fun.
B : I suppose it serves me right. I went outside without a coat last night.
A : You know the best cure for a cold, don’t you? Take it easy and drink lots of liquids.
B : I’ll do that. I don’t want my cold to go from bad to worse.
A : You’re right. It could easily develop into flu if you’re not careful.

DEFINITIONS

under the weather: unwell, although not seriously ill 
Example: Brian is feeling under the weather so he’s going to bed early tonight.

catch cold: become sick with a cold
Example: I enjoyed the football game, but it was such a wet, windy day that I caught cold.

watch one’s step: be careful
Example: Watch your step, young man! If you’re late for work again you’ll lose your job.

(it/that) serves one right: get exactly what one deserves (usually something one does not want)
Example: It serves Alex right that he missed his plane this morning. Maybe he’ll be more punctual after this.

take it easy: relax
Example: You’ve been working hard all afternoon, Steve. Sit down and take it easy for a few minutes.

go from bad to worse: deteriorate; get gradually worse
Example: We all thought Murdock was the president we needed, but unfortunately, under his administration things went from bad to worse.

Source: Idiom Drills for Students of English as a Second Language by George P. McCallum, 1983

No comments:

Post a Comment